If you can see this text here you should update to a newer web browser
Normal | Highlight & Comment Highlighted Text will be in Yellow, but there's nothing here yet.
23 November 1940.
1. Reference (a) directed that sky lookout stations be provided at the Air Defense Officer's stations on all vessels, and that each sky lookout be provided a, suitable support having an adjustable seat, back, armrest and neckrest.
2. After study of various sample supports radically different each from the other as to size, style, comfort, cost and utility, the Interior Control Board has approved the support shown in the enclosures. The Board recognizes that the several types of supports studied each offer particular advantages. In making its decision, the ready availability of parts far the support shown in enclosures, relative ease of manufacture and installation, and minimum space and weight requirements were considered of importance.
3. Accordingly, the Bureau desires that the enclosures be used for guidance in manufacturing the supports required by reference (a). Motorcycle seats may be used, in lieu of the bicycle seats shown, if readily available locally, and if details of installation can be worked out without major modification of support dimensions. Similarly, materials may be selected to suit availability provided adequate strength is maintained. The web belt should be adjustable in length and at least four inches in width.
4. Forces Afloat are hereby authorized to proceed with the procurement and installation of subject supports. Supports are to be manufactured by ship's force, tenders or navy yards, whichever may be considered most expeditious by Force Commanders under existing circumstances. Installation is to be accomplished by ship's force in locations to be approved by the Bureau.
5. Necessary materials may be requisitioned from navy yards.
E. G. KINTNER,
|Enclosure (B), Photos|
Transcribed by RESEARCHER @ LARGE. Formatting & Comments Copyright R@L.
CV-16 Lexington Home |
Ships Home | Researcher@Large Home